Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Gift of GIRLS!

Summer gives me the chance to be with my girls.....A LOT!

Pretty much every single day, around the clock, for 3 months.....straight.

Coming from a family of brothers this can be a little.....confusing.

See, here's the thing....

Boys are rough and tough and often detach themselves from the emotional side of things. They don't take offense quickly and when they do, a good tackle usually clears things up.

My boys avoid drama like the plague! This is simply not in their brain wave, and they haven't the coping skills to figure it out. The very thought of hearing about emotional situations seems to give them the "heebie jeebies".

They take risks that often seem just plain reckless and irresponsible and they call it "AWESOME!" When they get hurt it becomes their badge of honor.

Boys create battle zones with army men and tanks and feel no remorse for turning their sisters barbies into hostages . They get dirty and stinky and never consider the scrub down they will get later. Boys are weird.....but cool!

GIRLS...

Well, having spent so much time with my daughters, as well as going to a week of girl's camp, I have come to appreciate what it is to have girls, as well as BE a girl myself!

Girls bring a whole different component to life and circumstances.

Girls not only look out for their own safety, but also the safety of others. Because they love deeply and profoundly they are often hurt easier. Because of this nature, it frequently requires some crying and discussing. Therefore, they develop the ability to analyze and stretch themselves to new levels of compassion, as well as new levels of love.

Because of a girl's nature, sometimes drama happens. We are emotional creatures! We crave acceptance and unconditional love. In the act of craving we may seem a little unpredictable. Sometimes we just don't make any sense whatsoever.

We know we are emotional, but love us anyway, dang it!!!

"WE CAN TEACH YOU THINGS!!" Could be our motto to those silly boys!

We avoid messy stuff because it took us so long to do our hair. When we do get down and dirty, we take into account and embrace the thought of the hot bath and pedicure that is right around the corner. We like to look pretty. Probably more for ourselves than anyone else, yet we still feel apologetic when anyone has to look at us in such a "horrible state".
Girls can be kind of silly sometimes...
But here is the REALLY COOL thing I have learned....

When a girl's heart is focused on Jesus Christ, when she is above the trends and vanities of this world, when she KNOWS who she is and lives with that knowledge in every thought and every act, she becomes something entirely unique.

She loves more purely than one ever thought capable. She forgives more freely than perhaps even she thought possible. She shares her feelings more openly than perhaps she ought to. She works until she has no more strength. She nurtures others without a thought of herself. She gives until there is absolutely nothing left to give but still believes that tomorrow there will not only be enough for herself-but more to give as well. She prays with all of her heart because she has had the witness that God loves not only her but everyone else around her.

She becomes a jewel more valuable than any jewel in this mortal world.

When a daughter of God looks to Him as her Father she steps out of this world and becomes an instrument in His hands.

Max Lucado said,

"A woman's heart must be so lost in God that a man must seek Him to find her."
Wouldn't it be amazing if we girls were so lost in God that a man must seek Him to find us?

It's a PRIVILEGE to be a girl, a woman, a mother, an aunt, a girl-friend, a wife, a grandmother, a sister, and a daughter.
Most importantly to be a daughter of God.

I love my daughters who love me so unconditionally!
I love my mother and my mother in law who have not only been mothers, but friends as well!
I love my sister in laws and my nieces who allow me to feel like I was one of their own sisters!
I love my dear, and most beloved friends! Who have lifted and inspired me every day!
I love the memory of my grandma Lyndall! The sweet memory of how much she loved me as a small little girl has stayed with me for over 37 years.
I love the special girls in my children's lives! Both my son's and my daughter's. They have taught them life lessons I simply could not, for this I am eternally grateful!
I love the amazing girls I have spent time with in young women's and seminary, who have stretched themselves to levels of godliness and strengthened me so much in the process!
I love all of the incredible women in my life who have taught me what it means to be the kind of women I want to be.

I love my Mother in Heaven.

Who I know looks upon me, and I believe, laughs and cries with me.

It is a gift to have such beautiful girls in my life and to be a girl myself.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this!!! It really is such a gift to be a Girl! You have such a strong testimony- I love reading your posts! And then the pictures are so great too! You are each so beautiful and look like you had a wonderful time spending time together!! :)

    ReplyDelete